Plastic Clamshell Packaging
Walter Drake is well known for its design and manufacture of visually interesting and functional plastic clamshell packaging. Plastic clamshell packaging is an excellent and widely used solution for applications that range from general merchandise packaging to high-performance medical packaging and electronics packaging.
Walter Drake's custom package design, raw material selection and an ISO 9001-2000 compliant quality assurance program deliver the right thermoformed plastic clamshell — with the right performance — at the right price.
To solve a wide range of visual and technical requirements, consider:
Custom Plastic Clamshell Packaging - Design
- Custom clamshell package designs that range from straightforward single-cavity — to highly sculpted multi-cavity — to separate front and back cavities — to partial front/partial back cavities, all providing see-through plastic packaging
- Custom plastic clamshell functionality that offers holding features within a cavity such as shaped cavities to trap movement, press fit dimensions to control movement and under-cuts for snap-in control
- Plastic clamshell, tri-fold or multi-hinge structures that provide visual interest, but more importantly, design flexibility for hard to achieve functionality
- Plastic clamshell container accented with custom insert trays of similar, or dissimilar, materials to deliver visual interest and/or product holding function
- Plastic clamshell packaging with unexpected perimeter shapes to visually stand out on the crowded retail shelf
- Plastic clamshell packaging with functional and reliable closing features that eliminate the need for costly RF sealing
- Custom plastic clamshell container with up-scale embossing or engraving of your Company’s name, product name, logo, part number, etc.
Plastic Clamshell Packaging – Ultra Clean or Static Dissipative
When it comes to critical medical, pharmaceutical and electronic packaging applications that demand more from plastic clamshells than appearance, Walter Drake is a leader in providing two vital capabilities — Class 1000 (ISO Class 6) clean room production and conductive and static dissipative (ESD) packaging.
At the end of the day, it is Walter Drake’s skilled staff, technologically advanced production facility and robust quality assurance program that will deliver your plastic clamshell container on time, within spec and at the lowest prices.
Not all decisions are difficult — a call to Walter Drake Inc. is easy. Call or contact us to ask about plastic clamshell packaging — You’ll be glad you did.
Plastic Clamshell Types
We manufacture many types of clamshell packaging including:
- Retail Clamshell Packaging - If you want your product to incorporate visually appealing packaging, as well as, being able to optimally position and feature your products in the retail environment. Retail plastic clamshells also protect your product from pilferage and loss.
- Medical Clamshell Packaging – Walter Drake designs and manufactures clamshells for use as medical packaging. Our ISO 9001-2000 compliant quality assurance program and, when appropriate, our Class 1000 (ISO Class 6) clean room, provides the medical packaging containers that keep your devices safe and the quality records that keep your medical packaging program fully traceable. We are a full medical clamshell manufacturer that will drive your medical packaging project throughout the entire process, from design, tooling, manufacturing, quality assurance protocols and shipment.
- Electronic Clamshell Packaging – We manufacture and design high-performance electronics clamshell packaging (also tray and blister packaging) to give your specialized electronic packaging the performance characteristics and dimensional accuracy and full traceability that it requires. All of our plastic electronics packaging comes with the promise of ISO 9001-2000 compliant quality assurance and complete product traceability.
What is a Plastic Clamshell?
A plastic clamshell is a one-piece package comprised of two halves joined together by a hinge area allowing the structure to join and close. Plastic clamshells are sometimes called blister packs although there are differences as we note below. Plastic clamshells are named after the shell of a clam because it is very similar in form and function.
A blister pack is a pre-formed plastic package often used for small consumer goods and pharmaceutical products.
The main feature of a blister pack is its custom cavity and perimeter flange molded from a formable web of plastic. A blister pack will have a paperboard, plastic or specialty foil lid stock sealed to its flanges. A blister pack that folds onto itself is sometimes referred to as a clamshell package.
Considerations for specifying clamshell packaging.
A – What size?
What is the size, shape and delicate nature of the part that you want to package? This is necessary for Walter Drake to understand how the package will hold your content. Will your clamshell package house a single item or multiple items? What are the measurements of your product and how many will be packed in the clamshell? Whatever options you have you will need to determine:
B – What material?
- Nearly all clamshells utilize some type of clear plastic material so that consumers can see the product and we typically manufacture PVC, PET, HIPS, PETG and Polypropylene.
- PVC is the most common
- PET is FDA approved and is environmentally friendly.
C – Thickness of Your Material
- What is the weight of the product you are packaging?
- Thicker clamshell walls are usually required for heavier items.
- Thinner walls may be utilized for lighter products..
- Shipping and Protection.
- Heavier walls may be used for better protection of your products but will also increase cost and weight of the clamshells.
- If corrugated or foam inserts are used, thinner walls may be possible.
D – Merchandising
- Graphic insert card or literature - such a requirement may need a flat-bottomed pocket.
- Does inserted literature need to be seen from the closed package?
- Color and appearance. If not a clear color do you have a specific color match needed?
E – Packaging Specifics
- Is the package going to be sterilized after loading?
- Do you need conductive, static dissipative or ESD?
- Do you have cleanroom requirements
- How many packages you will put in each shipping cartons.
F – Pricing
Many factors will influence pricing of your clamshell packaging including:
- Thickness of material
- Type of material
- Quantity ordered and number of releases
Walter Drake will assist you in specifying the proper and most economical clamshell packaging for your particular application. Call or contact us today for personalized assistance. You can also learn more about clamshells and thermoformed packaging by downloading our “Purchasers Guide to Thermoformed Packaging”